We stumbled across this photo recently, taken in 1961 when the Armstrong Murray offices were being built.
Ian Armstrong, the founding partner of Armstrong Murray, had been practising on his own since 1956, working from an office on Hurstmere Road during his first few years in business. He specialised in property law and conveyancing, reflecting the North Shore’s rapid growth at the time.
Ian’s brother Graeme joined the practice in 1960 and they purchased a section on Anzac Street. The section was bare land and had no buildings on either side – a very different sight from Anzac Street as we know it today.
Ian, still sharp as ever at 89 years old, distinctly remembers that the building project cost a total of £12,000 and took around 4-5 months to complete.
They moved into the building in 1961 and their oldest brother, John Armstrong, joined the firm in 1964.
Although the Armstrong brothers have long since retired, Armstrong Murray is still operating from the same building nearly 60 years later.